12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit builds upon the creative and intellectual skills developed in its prerequisite, Graphic Design Studio 5. On completion students will have developed a body of professional industry-standard works that demonstrate their awareness of contemporary design practice and their ability to work within it. Students will be encouraged to develop an individual approach that defines them as independent, creative and intelligent thinkers ready to challenge and contribute to a contemporary visual communication environment. Extensive and professional interaction with each other's work practice and the lecturing staff is essential to achieve this end.
On successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- work confidently within the constraints of a specific brief with regard to time, cost and produciton techniques
- critically approach problem solving, mindful of current philosophical developments in graphic design
- demonstrate advanced skills in independent thinking, creativity, art direction and production technology
- demonstrate this ability through sound digital practices
- evaluate the requirements of each brief and approach it perceptively and appropriately
- continue to develop strong research skills that contribute to the best resolution of each project
- demonstrate an ability to articulate ideas through speech as well as visual and written means
- work successfully amid the distractions of a working studio environment
- develop a body of work that represents their highest possible achievements within this subject and those that support it
- observe and employ occupational health and safety appropriate to studio practice.
A folio of approximately four major projects: 80%; smaller studio exercises: 10%; presentation of a complete professional quality folio: 10%
One 1 hour lecture plus 7 hours of tutorial and 16 hours pf independent study per week
See also Unit timetable information