12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Supervised Professional Practice 1 enables students to operationalise the professional social work role.
The unit comprises 500 hours of supervised professional practice in the field.
There is an opportunity to review skills and to facilitate the integration of theory and practice through contact with the University Contact (liaison) allocated to the student and supervisor while on placement.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of how theory and practice can be integrated for effective direct service delivery.
- Demonstrate an ability to practice in accordance with professional social work ethics and familiarity with the AASW Code of Ethics.
- Demonstrate an ability to articulate and adhere to professional social work values, skills and attributes including an understanding of the nature of professional roles and responsibilities.
- Demonstrate an understanding of a range of social work intervention strategies applicable to work with individuals, families and communities.
- Demonstrate an ability to assess and plan appropriate intervention, including evaluation of outcomes, for a range of individual, family and community problems.
- Demonstrate an ability to appropriately and effectively utilise professional supervision to explore professional practice and to enhance competence and professional identity.
- Demonstrate an ability to reflectively and critically evaluate client situations and policy approaches.
Clinical placement: 480 hours.
While on placement, students are required to complete:
- Learning agreement and assessment report (Hurdle)
- Case study or report (1,000 words)(hurdle)
- Critical learning analysis (1,000 words) (hurdle)
A final evaluation report is completed by the Social Work Educator in consultation with the student, where 9 core learning areas are rated.
To meet AASW accreditation requirements the student must reach a level of 'beginning capability' (2) for 9 core learning outcome areas appropriate to the setting by the end of the placement.
The unit is pass grade only (PGO).
The AASW set down the workload requirements for a Field Placement. You must complete 500 hours at one agency, or 14 weeks. In addition to the Field Placement experience you are also required to undertake a number of formal assessment pieces (details listed later in this unit guide). You need to do this full-time if you are enrolled in the unit full-time. If you are enrolled in the unit part-time you must discuss this with the Field Education Academic Director as soon as possible.
Students are required to complete 3 assessment tasks. One of the tasks (LAAR) involves two joint reports with the Social Work Educator.
Unit discontinuation and penalty dates for these units are different to other units taught in the same teaching period.
Please refer to the information available on the Faculty's non-standard teaching datesFaculty's non-standard teaching dates (http://www.med.monash.edu.au/enrolments/non-standard-dates.html) page to avoid academic and financial penaltiesacademic and financial penalties (http://www.monash.edu/enrolments/processes/change/add-or-discontinue-units#penalties).
See also Unit timetable information