6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2018
Admission to an Art & Design course, or permission
FNA1201 or FNA1211 or FNA1222 or FNA1301 or FNA1303 or FNA1304
This unit introduces students to the practice and theory of painting as a means of contemporary creative expression. It focuses on raising awareness of and providing the means to achieve an initial level of competence within the painting discipline, while imparting a sound conceptual and technical basis for continuing study in that discipline. The safe handling of materials and equipment is emphasised as an essential part of all studio practice.
On successful completion of this unit, students will:
- have explored a wide range of processes that derive from or relate to painting: collage, processed and found images, mixed media, and new and lens based media
- have developed and tested new painterly strategies
- have considered their work in the context of historical and current visual art practices
- have basic skills in the materials and methods appropriate to their chosen expressive outcomes
- understand and apply the principles of occupational health and safety practices in the studio.
Folio of studio work:100%, of which at least 20% will be assessed before mid-semester.
12 hours per week, including 4 hours of taught studio and 8 hours of personal study and studio practice.
See also Unit timetable information