6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit will extend on foundation knowledge in epidemiology and disease prevention. It will focus on the burden of chronic disease, examining both the Australian context and global perspectives.
Students will apply techniques for measuring the burden of disease, examine risk factors for chronic disease and explore the impact of the determinants of health on chronic disease. Evidence-based approaches to disease prevention and control will be presented.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Describe the epidemiology and burden of chronic disease
- Evaluate methods used to measure the impact of chronic disease
- Appraise risk pathways associated with important chronic diseases
- Examine the impact of determinants of health in chronic disease
- Evaluate strategies for the public health control of chronic diseases
- Online quizzes (10%)
- Group project (15%)
- Written report (2,100 words) (35%)
- Examination (2 hours) (40%) (hurdle)
- 80% attendance at tutorials and participation in online tasks.
6 hours per week contact hours (including 1 hour lecture, 2 hour tutorial and 3 hours online activities) plus 6 hours per week private study.
See also Unit timetable information