12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (Flexible)
Relationships between computers, information technologies and the provision of nursing care. Contemporary issues in nursing informatics. Skills in the use of information technologies in health care settings enabling participants to act as a conduits, facilitating and enhancing communication between and among clinicians, technicians, information systems personnel, health care executives and systems vendors. Issues of privacy, ethics, confidentiality and network security.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of how specific software application (e.g. word processing, spreadsheet, database, presentation and statistics) may be applied to nursing practice, education, administration and research;
- Describe the role of database, communication and network technology in the development, implementation and utilisation of information systems;
- Evaluate current trends in communication and network technology and their impact on Health Information Systems;
- Analyse and evaluate a number of information sources such as CD-ROM databases and websites related to nursing knowledge in general and specifically to Nursing Informatics;
- Demonstrate an ability to competently utilise communication applications such as email, newsgroups, intranet and Internet audio/video technology and evaluate their benefits to health care;
- Outline the role of various computer architectures in the provision of Information Systems;
- Analyse a number of networking structures and topographies;
- Understand issues related to informatics ethics, privacy and confidentiality;
- Evaluate the role of network security in maintaining information system integrity;
- Analyse a number of information technology implementation strategies and outline their impact on Nursing Informatics;
- Discuss the role of data standards and case mix in health informatics;
- Demonstrate an understanding of current trends in health care and how they influence the development, implementation and utilisation of information systems;
- Analyse a number of Clinical Information Systems and determine their role in improving nursing care.
- Seminar presentation (30%)
- Issues paper (40%) (hurdle)
- Tutorial participation (30%)
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Nursing and midwifery