6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit is an introductory overview of organisational leadership, with the aim of developing knowledge, skills and understanding of the multifaceted nature of organisational leadership in relation to work-relevant factors. Concepts and issues examined during the course of tuition include the nature of leadership; from management to leadership; traits, behaviours and relationships; contingency approaches; leadership vision and strategic direction; leadership communication; shaping culture and values; leading a learning organisation; motivation and empowerment; leading teams; leadership and multiculturalism; and leading change.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- acquire an insight into and understanding of the differences between management and leadership in order to enhance leadership and research skills
- develop a better capacity to analyse and report on domestic and international issues directly related to organisational leadership both generically as well as within real-life workplaces
- acquire an overview of the voluminous research literature on leadership in order to better promote leadership development
- develop an awareness of the various constructs of leadership and their relevance to organisational effectiveness, change, and sustainability.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information