6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
It is strongly recommended that this unit be undertaken in the last semester of study for the Master of Business (Managing human capital specialisation).
Strategic human resource management and context; SHRM models; the HRM and organisational performance link; high performance work systems; managing the employment relationship; employee voice; ethics and social responsibility; international strategic HRM.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- examine the relationship between people management and strategy
- critically analyse the strategic planning and implementation considerations associated with key areas of HRM strategy
- critically analyse the potential for human resource management to enhance competitive advantage, organisational performance and sustainability
- identify and examine different perspectives and value systems in strategic people management
- critically analyse strategic HRM theories and practices and their applications to organisational realities
- apply theories of people management and strategy to a practical work environment.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information