12 points, SCA Band 2, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus block of classes)
- First semester (extended) 2018 (On-campus block of classes)
Admission to F6005 (the double award Master of Industrial Design with SouthEast University, China).
The unit provides an opportunity to undertake design projects and to develop design studio practice. Students will be required to develop their own personal design philosophy, and consider the ways in which it responds to social needs and its visual and social expression as a preliminary to its development in their major project. The contemporary discourse in design and related theory is actively discussed and debated, with students encouraged to develop a personal position relative to it. Both the intentions of students and the results of their work are debated in group discussions and critical sessions. This unit is only available to students enrolled in the double award Master of Industrial Design with Southeast University, China.
Upon successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Practice design to a standard of professional competency; engaging collaboratively and independently in the resolution and communication of design concepts;
- Relate and critically analyse their design work against contemporary discourse and seek to extend its boundaries;
- Defend their chosen direction in the project against informed criticism, through the synthesis of complex theories, concepts, and design strategies;
- Apply advanced cognitive abilities, technical skills, and the practice of cultural inquiry to undertake their project;
- Organise, develop and plan methodologies, for a project to successfully determine a viable outcome;
- Understand and apply the rules of occupational health and safety appropriate to the discipline practice.
Preliminary review and analysis (30%)
Exegetical presentation (70%)
Block mode: 48 studio hours and 240 hours independent study; On campus: 8 studio hours and 16 hours of independent study per week or equivalent.
See also Unit timetable information