6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
or , selection by interview and presentation of folio, enrolment in Bachelor of Design (F2002), student to secure own placement
This unit comprises a period of department-approved industry-based work placement with a design practice relevant to the students' discipline. The unit requires students to experience a minimum of 96 hours of contact for the semester, but this can be undertaken in a number of modes: 8 hours per week for 12 weeks, 16 hours per week for 6 weeks, 24 hours per week for 4 weeks and so on. The unit will provide students with valuable real-world design experience, and alert them to important studio practices such as time management, project management, client liaison, budgets, and actual creative production processes and procedures.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- perform a variety of tasks to a professional standard within an a design practice;
- effectively and constructively contribute as a team-member within an collaborative design project;
- comprehend and participate in real-world design, planning and production processes;
- develop design and planning skills that will translate to on-campus studio projects;
- apply on-campus studio skills to a real-world design practice;
- observe and apply the OHSE requirements of the working environment.
Design Experience journal (50%)
Presentation of project work (50%)
8 contact hours per week for 12 weeks or equivalent, plus 4 private study hours per week
See also Unit timetable information