12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
The unit gives nursing graduates a program which combines a strong theoretical and practical focus to health management and leadership. Topics on management and administration include: power, authority and politics; leadership; people in health service organisations; change and organisational effectiveness; quality improvement; governance and clinical risk management.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Analyse contemporary theories of leadership and management as it relates to nursing practice
- Analyse contemporary theories of management as it relates to nursing practice
- Evaluate the concept of clinical leadership in nursing as it relates to patient outcomes
- Identify and evaluate the principles of patient safety within the complexity of varying healthcare contexts
- Critically analyse the impact of the theoretical concepts of leadership and management to patient safety
- Examine the impact of health policy on nursing management
- Understand and describe the components of governance within Healthcare contexts in relation to patient safety
- Appraise the characteristics of effective organisations through the use of continuous improvement strategies
- Critically analyse theories of practice change management and their application to health care settings.
- Written/oral assignment (Leadership and management) (5000 words) (50%) (hurdle)
- Written/oral assignment (Quality) (2500-3000 words) (30%)
- Active learning engagement (20%)