6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
Enrolment in D6006 MProfCouns
This unit introduces students to the major theories of career development and the foundations of career counselling. They learn about career-related challenges that people might face and how to deal with these. Students also gain knowledge and skills to support individuals in developing their career management competencies, assess their personal characteristics and needs, and support individuals in understanding their situation and coping with crises at work.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- articulate the theories of career development and demonstrate familiarity with career counselling techniques
- apply psychological tools to assess personal characteristics and needs
- apply career counselling knowledge and skills to plan and implement at all levels of a person's development.
Critical review of career counselling (1600 words, 40%)
Seminar presentation (2400 words, 60%)
Minimum total expected workload equals 144 hours per semester comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- equivalent to 36 hours of engagement in online, face-to-face or blended platforms
- Additional requirements (all students):
- Independent study to make up the required minimum hours during the semester.
See also Unit timetable information