6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2018
This unit introduces students to the concepts and tools applicable to the moving image such as digital video and motion graphics. It offers students an opportunity to explore the potential of the moving image in a wide range of communications and multimedia applications. It extends the skills students have gained previously in working with digital images, both still and time based. The unit will enable students to bring their creative practice to a substantial level of competency with skills in both the technical and aesthetic aspects of the moving image, with emphasis on refining their personal visual language.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- use the computer and peripheral devices to acquire, compose and output visual content
- utilise a range of software applications in the creation, editing and realization of conceptual moving image works
- skilfully & creatively work with digital images (ie. graphic, photographic, video)
- explore animation techniques and compositing effects associated with motion graphic imaging
- consider and apply appropriate output formats
- understand design and narrative concepts common to various moving image conventions
- observe and employ occupational health and safety principles and rules appropriate to studio practice.
Directed projects: 30%; Self directed projects: 60%; Journal: 10%
12 hours per week including 4 contact hours (1 hour lecture plus 3 hours tutorial) and 8 independent study hours.
See also Unit timetable information