6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (Evening)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
, , BTX5190, LAW7028, LAW7209,
Topics cover both public and private international trade law, including the WTO and dispute settlement within its framework; rights and duties in international sales transactions; legal regimes governing contracts for carriage of goods internationally and the rights and duties arising there under; legal aspects of financing international trade through documentary collections and letters of credit; marine insurance; and international dispute resolution.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- understand the purpose and scope of the international legal framework in which trade between nations takes place
- recognise and understand the nature and purpose of documents used in international trade including contracts of sale, shipping documentation, invoices, insurance policies, bills of exchange and letters of credit
- identify and understand legal issues in an international trade context
- apply the laws relating to international contracts of sale, international carriage of goods, international finance and marine insurance in a variety of practical situations
- write a coherent piece of advice discussing the legal implications of the issues arising in an international trade dispute.
Within semester assessment: 40% + Examination: 60%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information