6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
Japanese intermediate 2 or equivalent
This is the first part of a sequence in upper intermediate Japanese. This unit covers both spoken language and contemporary written language and aims to enhance students' knowledge about Japan and the different varieties of the language. The unit also aims to develop students' study skills and intercultural competence.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- use listening skills to understand simple conversations as well as unfamiliar vocabulary and grammar;
- read texts (approx. 1500 characters) written for upper intermediate level of students with the assistance of dictionaries;
- use appropriate speech styles and communication strategies for a variety of contexts of different Japanese language, in order to communicate more naturally;
- discuss various topics related to Japan;
- write a short essay (800-1000 characters using online language resources effectively;
- use kanji acquired so far (approx. 300 kanji) and recognise and begin to use additional 150 new kanji (including approx. 70 for recognition only).
Within semester assessment: 70% + Exam: 30%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information