6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit is only available to students enrolled in a Bachelor of Music single or double degree - Music composition specialisation.
- The unit has a compulsory ensemble componentensemble component (http://artsonline.monash.edu.au/music/category/performance-studies/student-ensembles/). Some ensembles are subject to audition. Normally, auditions take place in Week 1 of the semester. Please see the unit guide for further information.
- Students who fail this unit will need permission from the unit coordinator in order to repeat the unit.
This unit develops intermediate skills in composition by requiring students to write works for small ensembles, a process that extends students' knowledge of acoustic instruments, and compose works for music technology in combination with acoustic instruments. Students also explore and apply the development of musical materials in the context of multi-movement works and prepare a detailed compositional plan in response to a set concept.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- approach music composition, including the combination of acoustic instruments and studio-based work, with some expertise;
- write works for small ensembles;
- develop a detailed compositional plan with multiple levels of structure for a multi-movement work in response to a set concept;
- perform effectively in a chosen/approved music ensemble with a critical awareness of the various roles involved;
- demonstrate perceptive music listening skills through verbal critiques.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information