Postgraduate - Course
This course entry applies to students commencing this course in 2018
and should be read in conjunction with information provided in the
'Faculty information' section of this Handbook by the Information Technology.
Unit codes that are not linked to their entry in the Handbook are not available for study in the current year.
Admission and fees
The Master of Information Technology Systems is a program in information technology with a focus on network computing for students who have a first qualification in a technical information technology field.
It is only offered in partnership with Southeast University China as part of an international double degree that enables you to complete the requirements of the Monash Master of Information Technology Systems as well as a second masters degree with Southeast University (SEU).
These course outcomes are aligned with the Australian Qualifications Framework level 9 and Monash Graduate AttributesAustralian Qualifications Framework level 9 and Monash Graduate Attributes (http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/handbooks/alignmentofoutcomes.html).
Upon successful completion of this course it is expected that students will have:
- knowledge, understanding and experiences that go beyond current technology, and will be well equipped to deal with the ongoing and often rapid changes in information technology
- a solid understanding of significant areas of information technology to a level of depth and sophistication consistent with senior professional practice
- undertaken a minor thesis that will be preparation for PhD study through research methods training and an independent research project
- the knowledge and skills required to act as a competent practitioner or researcher in information technology exercising independent judgement within and beyond the immediate technical context addressed by the course material
- experienced study and research in a mixed international environment and through this will have gained some cross-cultural competence.
This course is structured in two parts: Part A. Advanced information technology studies and Part B. Advanced information technology applications and practice.
The course comprises 72 points structured into two parts: Part A. Advanced information technology studies (24 points) and Part B. Advanced information technology applications and practice (48 points).
Units are 6 credit points unless otherwise stated.
Part A. Advanced information technology studies (24 points)
Students at Southeast University, China, receive block credit for masters level study at Southeast University (24 points)
Part B. Advanced information technology applications and practice (48 points)
- FIT5183 Mobile and distributed computing systems
- FIT5186 Intelligent systems
- FIT5187 Wireless networks
- FIT5190 Introduction to IT research methods
- FIT5191 Network protocols and network security (12 points)
- FIT5192 Enterprise and internet applications development (12 points)