Public relations practice will provide you with both an understanding and the application of relevant competencies and skills to meet the challenges of contributing to organisational effectiveness. It will prepare you for careers in managing the strategic corporate communication and public relations functions of an organisation.
An emphasis is placed on skills development in the utilisation of both traditional and new media, publicity and media relations, stakeholder mapping and profiling, integrated strategic planning and the interfaces between marketing, advertising and corporate communication.
The major provides a sound theoretical platform from which the practice is launched and includes case study analysis, the development, planning, implementation and evaluation of strategic communication plans, campaigns and events, and work integrated learning.
Public relations practice is offered in the Bachelor of Social Science at Monash South Africa as a major or minor.
In addition to achieving the broad outcomes of their course, students successfully completing this major will be able to:
- analyse strategic public relations practice in South Africa and emerging markets in Africa and globally
- explain the increased responsibility, scrutiny and accountability of organisations in terms of corporate citizenship and social responsibility
- develop proactive crisis and issue management plans
- develop skills in using both traditional and new media, publicity and media relations, stakeholder mapping and integrated strategic planning
- execute public relations campaigns and events.