12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
This unit is the first in the Visual Practices sequence that provides students with a broad range of approaches to contemporary art. The program will address topics such as perceptual and conceptual drawing, installation, representational practices, performance, lens-based media and others. Students will be encouraged to develop inventive solutions to a series of projects set around these topics. Teaching methods involve critical dialogue, class discussion and evaluation. Safe and sustainable approaches to fabrication techniques and materials are promoted as core values in the unit.
On successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate an ability to initiate, develop and express conceptual and material solutions to projects set across a range of fine art media including drawing
- Demonstrate an understanding of a variety of production methods used in contemporary visual art practices, have an appreciation of various mediums, their properties and uses, and be able to work with materials and techniques in an experimental manner
- Demonstrate a basic understanding and ability to undertake interdisciplinary approaches across contemporary visual art practices at both individual and collaborative levels;
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of the synthesis between observation, analysis, experimentation and critique
- Demonstrate a basic ability to contextualise their work and its theoretical and material rationale within the field of contemporary visual art practices
- Demonstrate the knowledge and ability to achieve safe and sustainable working practices within the studio environment.
100% mixed mode
24 hours per week, including eight hours of taught studio and sixteen hours of personal study and studio practice
See also Unit timetable information
Admission to the Bachelor of Visual Arts Course
Any FNA level 1 unit