6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2017
This unit pushes students towards developing an identifiable style that can be successfully used to solve a wide range of illustration problems. Greater emphasis is placed on the professional aspects of the subject through interaction with practicing illustrators and working to realistic briefs. Students will be required to maintain reference folios and examine historic and current issues to help develop their visual vocabulary. A balance of efficiency, experimentation, aesthetics and communication is sought in each job, each one applied to a greater design problem.
- confidently illustrate with technical and aesthetic expertise
- challenge traditional uses of illustration media and push the boundaries of image making
- apply illustration to the greater practice of graphic design
- solve illustration problems eloquently, efficiently and skillfully
- practice illustration with an awareness of current and historical illustration methods
- pursue an identifying style suited to his or her strengths and talents.
Exercises: 85% Journal: 15%
4 studio hours and 8 independent study hours.
See also Unit timetable information
Admission to MDes course