12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
Graphic Design Studio 5 allows students the opportunity to develop a body of work that defines them as articulate, intelligent and adventurous designers, prepared to meet the needs of a contemporary communication environment. The students are required to function as mature designers, capable of originating high quality projects that showcase a range of skills in design and layout, typography and image making, all executed with an emphasis on appropriate research and professional procedures. Contemporary visual thinking will be applied to areas such as logo design, brochures, poster design, editorial layout and package design.
On successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- work confidently within the constraints of a specific brief with regard to time, cost and production requirements
- critically approach problem solving, mindful of current philosophies and aesthetic developments in graphic design
- comprehend the professional requirements and relevance of each brief undertaken
- demonstrate advanced skills in independent thinking, creativity, art direction and production technology
- evaluate the requirements of each brief and approach it perceptively, intelligently and appropriately
- utilise accrued skills from the prerequisite, core and elective subjects in the resolution of design problems
- utilise research effectively in the solution of any given design problem
- observe and employ occupational health and safety appropriate to studio practice.
4-5 assignment projects: 90% plus studio exercise: 10%
8 hours studio and 16 hours of independent study per week.
See also Unit timetable information