6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2017
This unit gives students who are not taking painting as a major study the opportunity to continue to develop the practice and theory of Painting as a means of contemporary creative expression. By providing the means to continue to increase their level of competence within the Painting discipline it forms a sound conceptual and technical basis for an understanding of Painting as a discipline. It also lays the groundwork for developing interdisciplinary approaches and extending the discipline of Painting into wider fields of practice.
On successful completion of this unit students will:
- demonstrate some sophistication in applying basic design principles in the practice of Painting;
- have a strong grasp of relevant terminology commonly used in the Painting discipline;
- have a solid understanding of a range of production methods used in painting.
- have a growing maturity in their ability to transfer ideas or approaches which emerge through other disciplines into the practice of painting. They will be able to initiate, develop and express personal aesthetic solutions within the discipline of painting in an inventive or imaginative way;
- demonstrate a growing understanding of the synthesis between concept, design solution, process and Painting production;
- be knowledgeable about the contemporary and historical context of the Painting discipline;
- be able to present their work to an audience with theoretical and historical rationale;
- have an established appreciation and understanding of the required organisation and management of individual workspaces and consideration of others in the studio environment;
- possess the knowledge and ability to achieve safe working practices in the activities of the Painting studio
Folio of studio work:100%
12 hours per week, including four hours of taught studio and eight hours of personal study and studio practice.
See also Unit timetable information