12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2017
This unit enables students to refine their studies by extending their understanding of, and personal expression in, photomedia as a visual arts practice to an advanced level. In consultation with the lecturer, students will propose and research a theme of individual interest and will produce a folio of work to a high standard on this theme. In addition to the project, students define, research and articulate their work through an accompanying research paper. Students will express an understanding of the implications of media choice, presentation and the nexus between visual and conceptual aspects of photomedia. A high standard of health & safety will be observed and taught at all times.
On successful completion of this unit, students will:
- have carried out a negotiated project which results in a folio of images, or other forms of presentation as appropriate, with supporting documentation of high caliber in a journal;
- have achieved a sophisticated level of practice in photomedia which is appropriate to an advanced level
- give consideration to how their work is placed as an professional practitioner in the context of current practice
- have an advanced practical and critical understanding of photomedia
- a high level of understanding and be able to apply photomedia processes, techniques and images to a major body of work
- understand the implications of media choice and presentation
- be able to articulate and position their creative production through critical discourse with clarity and insight at an advanced level
- maintain a high standard of occupational health and safety at all times.
Folio 90% (which includes progressive assessment and research paper) + Journal 10%
24 hours per week, comprising 8 contact hours (1 x 1hr lecture plus 7 hrs tutorial) and 16 independent study hours
See also Unit timetable information
PHO3207 or Permission required from Photomedia Studio Coordinator