6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
This unit will examine foundation aspects of public health with a focus on contemporary challenges in public health.
Students will apply this knowledge to critically appraise initiatives to address complex health issues from a public health perspective, and will be expected to engage with current public health issues and communicate their ideas clearly and effectively.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to;
- Describe and integrate the basic principles and tools of public health practice
- Examine the interdisciplinary and intersectoral relationships that contribute to public health
- Evaluate a range of behavioural, social and cultural, environmental and political determinants of health
- Identify and appraise methods and application of disease prevention and control at a population level
- Define the principles of evidence based practice and assess their implementation across public health initiatives
- Online Quiz multiple choice questions (10%);
- Written assignment (1,200 words) (20%);
- Written assignment (2,400 words) (40%) (hurdle);
- Written reflections on public health issues and challenges and applications in moderated online forum (30%)
The total workload requirement for this unit is 12 hours of work per week.
This incorporates 15 contact hours over 2 days + Off-Campus learning (OCL) (including private study and written reflections on public health issues and challenges and applications through an online forum).
See also Unit timetable information