6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Critical appraisal of literature reviews; problem formulation and protocol development; intra-rater agreement for assessment of relevance; validity assessments; data collection forms; variation between study findings, combining the findings of independent studies, inferences based upon overviews; statistics of meta analysis, Cochrane Collaboration.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Formulate a structured question for a systematic review of randomised controlled trials, and understand the motivations for doing a systematic review;
- Develop a protocol (or planned methods) for a systematic review;
- Conduct a systematic review in a small group that conforms to accepted standards;
- Clearly report the systematic review;
- Assess the quality of systematic reviews conducted by others, and apply the results to clinical practice.
- Critically appraise a published systematic review - written report (20%);
- Report of a protocol or plan of a systematic review of randomised controlled trials - group written report (20%);
- Report of a systematic review of randomised controlled trials - group written report (50%) (hurdle)
- Online participation in Moodle discussions (10%)