6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
This unit examines the social, economic and legal dimensions of diversity and inclusion. It aims to provide both theoretical and practical application of contemporary ideas to promote workplace diversity and inclusion. Topics include theoretical perspectives on diversity and inclusion, forms of diversity and inclusion, the legal dimensions of discrimination, the legal framework regulating diversity, inclusion, discrimination and EEO, the strategic business, HRM and employment relations issues associated with promoting diversity and inclusion, the state of workplace diversity in the Australian context, contemporary public policy issues and diversity and inclusion in a comparative context.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- understand the concepts of diversity and inclusion applied to the workplace
- evaluate the legal, ethical, and professional issues associated with diversity management in the contemporary workplace
- identify the strategic business, HRM and employment relations issues associated with developing and implementing diversity and inclusion initiatives in the workplace
- understand the legal framework regulating the management of workplace diversity and inclusion issues
- analyse practical case studies of inclusion, diversity and discrimination in the workplace.
Within semester assessment: 50% + Examination: 50%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information