12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
This unit introduces students to the audio-visual language of multimedia and multimedia design principles. The role of the screen-based multimedia designer and the various multimedia elements are defined, including text, image, sound, narrative, animation and video. Students are introduced to various methods for creating screen design for contemporary electronic media communication. Particular emphasis is placed on the role of text and images in its particular narrative process.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- understand the audio-visual language of multimedia and the application of communication design principles;
- approach the problem-solving of multimedia screen design with an inquiring, adventurous and open attitude;
- be able to identify the different delivery platforms for multimedia design, including digital video, the internet, smart devices, site-specific installations, and other technologies;
- be able to use text, images, colour, animation, sound and digital video as communication elements in multimedia designs;
- develop a self-directed approach to the development of multimedia design works, utilising independent research and evaluation methods;
- observe and employ occupational health and safety appropriate to studio practice.
100% mixed mode/portfolio
8 contact hours and 16 hours of private study per week
See also Unit timetable information