12 points, SCA Band 2, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
This unit is the first part of a major industrial design project. The unit provides an opportunity to research issues, undertake conceptual designs and develop refinements on the basis of the advanced attainment achieved at the end of the third year. Students should be particularly concerned with the development of their personal design philosophy, the way in which it responds to social needs and its visual and social expression as a preliminary to its virtuoso development in the major project. The contemporary discourse in industrial design and related theory is actively discussed and debated, with students encouraged to develop a personal position relative to it.
On successful completion of this unit, students will:
- demonstrate a capability to research and explore the full range of issues to be considered in an industrial design project
- be able to practice industrial design to a high standard of professional competency
- be able to relate their work to contemporary discourse and seek to extend its boundaries through their design work
- be able to defend their chosen direction in the major project against informed criticism
- have a base of knowledge, understanding and capability necessary to undertake their major project
- be capable of organising, developing and planning methodologies associated with the major project which will help to successfully determine a viable outcome
- observe and employ occupational health and safety principles and rules appropriate to studio practice.
Mid-semester portfolio: 20% + Final portfolio: 80%
8 studio hours and 16 hours of independent study hours per week.
See also Unit timetable information