6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
The unit concerns the matching of products to the capabilities of the human body (Anthropometrics) and to the surroundings in which human beings live and work. There is particular reference to safety, usability specification and testing, and the commercial and legal aspects of product ergonomics.
On successful completion of this unit, students will:
- understand the principles and application of ergonomics
- be capable of optimising ergonomics in design
- be able to develop ergonomic check lists for products
- understand and practice the rules of occupational health and safety in force in the industrial design studio
Practical exercises: 80%. Class tests: 20%
12 hours per week, including 1 hour lecture, 2 hours of tutorials and 9 hours independent study
See also Unit timetable information