6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
This unit is only available to students enrolled in the double award Master International/Master of Information Technology Systems with South East University, China
This unit will review the basic concepts of networking technologies and analyse technological aspects of the wireless network. Main topics will include: antenna and propagation for wireless systems, fundamentals of physical layers used in wireless networks, wireless local area networks (WLAN/WiFi), WiMax systems, mobile network technologies (3G and LTE), mesh networks. Unit will also cover advanced topics in wireless networking.
At the completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- describe the basic characteristics of layered protocol networking model and wireless mobile systems;
- understand architecture and signal characteristics of cellular communication systems;
- understand physical and media access control layers used in wireless technologies for signal encoding, spread spectrum and error control;
- understand architectures of: WiFi, WiMax, and advanced mobile networking systems like LTE as described in relevant standards;
- understand concepts behind mesh networks analyse advance topics in wireless networking.
Examination (2 hours): 50%; In-semester assessment: 50%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- Two hours of lectures
- One 2-hour laboratory/tutorial
- Additional requirements (all students):
- A minimum of 8 hours independent study per week for completing lab and project work, private study and revision.
See also Unit timetable information
Fundamental knowledge of computer and communication systems