6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
Topics include business modelling with spreadsheets; the methodology of business modelling; linear programming; transportation and assignment problems; network models and project scheduling problems.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- describing business models using concept diagrams and mathematical programming formulations
- formulating, solving and interpreting business problems with linear programming using graphical methods, Excel Solver, duality, sensitivity, and Simplex method
- formulating, solving and interpreting business problems with integer programming using branch and bound and Excel Solver
- analysing simple problems using transportation simplex, assignment method, project management networks, and network flow techniques.
Within semester assessment: 40% + Examination: 60%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information