6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2017
Senior positions in government and corporations expect professionals to have a high level of research competence. This subject is designed to impart this skill by requiring students to select a project in their area of specialisation and submit a 9000 word report and an oral presentation. Students will work closely with a personal supervisor to ensure that the research paper locates and masters new knowledge and demonstrates originality in both research content and intellectual argument.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- consolidate knowledge of issues specific to the respective areas of specialisation
- develop analytical and diagnostic skills and enhance the ability to analyse and resolve problems of practical importance
- broaden the experience with research methods applied to practical problems and demonstrate a capacity for original work, both in terms of locating new knowledge and its application
- acquire skills in the written presentation of applied research work
- hone oral skills and acquire experience in demonstrating the capacity in research and exposition in seminars attended by senior practitioners from the private and corporate sectors.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
Students must be enrolled in course 3842 to undertake this unit