6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2017
This unit introduces students to the practice and theory of ceramics as a means of contemporary creative expression. It focuses on raising awareness of and providing the means to achieve an initial level of competence within the ceramics discipline, while imparting a sound conceptual and technical basis for continuing study in that discipline. The safe handling of materials and equipment is emphasized as an essential part of all studio practice.
On successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- demonstrate competence in basic design principles and be able to apply them in the practice of the Ceramics discipline
- understand a variety of production methods used in the studio environment, have an appreciation of the nature of various media, their properties and uses, and be able to work with materials and techniques in an imaginative and engaging manner
- have formed an understanding of relevant terminology commonly used in the Ceramics discipline
- show they can initiate, develop and express personal aesthetic solutions in the medium of choice
- demonstrate an understanding of the synthesis between concept, design solution, process and Ceramics production
- be able to present their work to an audience with theoretical and historical rationale
- have an appreciation and understanding of the required organisation and management of individual workspaces and consideration of others in the studio environment
- have formed a growing awareness of the contemporary and historical context of the chosen Ceramics discipline and the role of the artist/designer in the community
- possess the knowledge and ability to achieve safe working practices in the activities of the Ceramics studio.
Folio of studio work:100%, of which at least 20% will be assessed before mid-semester.
12 hours per week, including four hours of taught studio and eight hours of personal study and studio practice
See also Unit timetable information
Admission to an Art & Design course or permission
APA1101, or APA111, or APA1122, or APA1202, or APA1212, or APA1213