6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2017 (Evening)
This unit analyses current international issues impacting employment law, including the challenges faced by businesses with a global workforce. With a comparative focus on Malaysia, these include the feminisation of labour; migrant labour; expatriate employment contracts; restrictive covenants; implementation of global codes of conduct via corporate social responsibility initiatives; reorganisation of business and redundancy; outsourcing; performance management and alternative dispute resolution options for workplace issues. Examples from various jurisdictions and international organisations will be used to facilitate an appreciation of the tensions between nation state dynamics and international norms. The unit offers an intellectual and practical contribution to knowledge in the area of workplace relations and the law. The assessment of the course will be by way of assignments.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- describe the role of international norms in employment law
- explain expatriate contracts in employment law i.e. contracts of service & independent contractors, restraints of trade and trade secrets
- discuss managerial prerogatives of reorganisation and outsourcing
- evaluate the consequences of disciplinary action and the role of mediation
- discuss the role of corporate social responsibility at the workplace.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
BTG9241, BTX5060 and BTX9060