6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- Summer semester A 2017 (On-campus block of classes)
This unit builds upon the understanding, knowledge and skills developed in AFS2780/BFS2780 (Corporate finance A). The unit provides a detailed examination of selected topics in corporate finance. These topics include: capital market history, risk and return, cost of capital, raising capital, financial leverage and capital structure, dividend policy, short-term finance and planning, current asset management, advanced capital budgeting, mergers , leasing, analysis and interpretation and valuations.
The learning objectives associated with this unit are to:
- explain and apply the key concepts that are relevant for each topic and interpret results
- apply complex quantitative techniques to practical examples and case studies in corporate finance and give advice
- demonstrate an understanding of how these topics relate to contemporary corporate activity
- identify and evaluate aspects broader than only financial aspects (such as environmental, social, economic and governance) in decision making
- apply critical thinking, problem solving and presentation skills to individual and / or group activities dealing with corporate finance and demonstrate in an individual summative assessment task the acquisition of a comprehensive understanding of the topics covered in BFS3790.
Within semester assessment: 30% + Examination: 70%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
AFW2780, BFS2780 or AFS2780
AFW3005, AFW3790, AFS3790