6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
This unit provides an introduction to financial planning. Coverage includes: the legislative and economic environment; the role of financial service advisers; licensing and disclosure; investment strategies, products, and related taxation implications, with particular reference to securities and managed investments; social security; superannuation, pensions and other retirement issues; estate planning; and the financial planning process.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- describe financial planning activities and legal compliance requirements for financial planners
- demonstrate specialist skills required for interaction with financial planning clients
- demonstrate generic knowledge of the Australian and global investment environments, together with specialist knowledge in the areas of superannuation, financial planning, securities and managed investments
- prepare detailed information necessary to complete a limited Statement of Advice (SoA)
- apply critical thinking, problem solving and presentation skills to individual and/or group activities dealing with personal financial planning and demonstrate in an individual summative assessment task the acquisition of a comprehensive understanding of the topics covered by BFF3111.
Within semester assessment: 40% + Examination: 60%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
AFC3440, BFC3440, AFF3111