6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Online)
The unit covers a range of compositional techniques used in such written forms as prose fiction, feature articles, reviewing and travel writing. The weekly topics are organised around exercises designed to develop skills in effective use of creative detail, in conscious crafting of formal elements, and in preparation and editing of copy for publication.
On successful completion of this unit students will have:
- An understanding of a range of practices and techniques in contemporary writing through reading, analysis and practice
- Refined and extended communication and writing skills across a number of literary and other forms and for a variety of audiences
- Skills in editing, proofing and preparation of copy for publication
- Advanced writing and reading skills as a member of an Internet writing group
- A dossier of research, ideas for writing and examples of drafts and finished work at the end of the unit.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
GSC3421, GSC3425, WRT3421