6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
The unit introduces aspects of Indonesian film and theatre as assets in regional communication and cultural export. Seminars discuss the success or otherwise of the performing arts in countering negative perceptions of Indonesia and efforts in regional cooperation. Consideration is given to representations of Indonesians in the film and theatre of its neighboring countries as a measure of awareness of each other's respective cultures. Workshops provide opportunities for students to combine their knowledge of Indonesian language and culture to practical projects related to film or theatre. The primary language of this unit is Indonesian.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- explain the exploitation of the performing arts by governments to influence public perceptions and promote specific interests;
- present arguments and proposals for utilising creative arts in education or public diplomacy;
- research and evaluate the historical development of film and/or theatre as a creative art form in Indonesia;
- appraise the role of translation in the international distribution of creative works;
- research, design and present a creative project incorporating a variety of language registers and fundamental techniques appropriate to the art form.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
ATS2116 or ATS3116 or placement test or coordinator's permission