6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2017
This unit provides the opportunity for students across a range of disciplines to participate in a workplace placement appropriate to their major. It offers a critical understanding of discipline-specific industry environments through the provision of practical work integrated learning. Students will participate in and contribute to a workplace setting and organisation relevant to their chosen discipline; have the opportunity to integrate theoretical knowledge gained throughout the duration of their course with the practical skills necessary to successfully function in a relevant workplace setting; and begin to assemble a practical work portfolio that will assist them to find work and secure career advancement.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- Quickly adapt to working in a discipline-specific professional environment.
- Consolidate an understanding of discipline-specific professional standards, methods, and practices.
- Apply and critically reflect upon knowledge gained across other study units.
- Assemble the beginnings of a discipline-specific practical folio for use in seeking employment and career advancement.
- Expand links and networks in their chosen industry.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement. + Additional requirements + Internship
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Successful completion of 24 points in the relevant disciplinary stream and with permission of the Discipline Head.