6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
- The unit has a compulsory ensemble componentensemble component (http://artsonline.monash.edu.au/music/category/performance-studies/student-ensembles/). Some ensembles are subject to audition. Normally, auditions take place in Week 1 of the semester. Please see the unit guide for further information.
- Students who fail this unit will need permission from the unit coordinator in order to repeat the unit.
This unit consolidates and extends the intermediate skills in composition developed in ATS2127 Composition 3. Students further develop technical skills by writing more complex multi-movement works and responding with a well-developed plan to a complex set concept. Students also extend their knowledge of acoustic instruments by writing for large instrumental groups. This prepares students for the advanced level study of compositional techniques in the next unit in the sequence, ATS3140 Composition 5.
Upon completion of this unit, students are able to:
- Demonstrate a continuing development of approaches to music composition, including the composition of multi-movement works that go beyond the skills attained in ATS2127 Composition 3;
- Demonstrate the ability to write for large instrumental groups;
- Demonstrate the ability to develop a detailed compositional plan for a multi-movement work in response to a set concept.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
ATS2127 or ATS2808
This unit is only available to students enrolled in a Bachelor of Music single or double degree - Music composition specialisation.