6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
The unit develops and consolidates cultural knowledge and Indonesian language skills through a study of contemporary issues as presented by the Indonesian media. Practical translation skills are introduced with reference to language use common in the Indonesian media. Seminars and tutorials provide language practice through the discussion, debate and communicative tasks that investigate the cultural and political background to both long term and emerging issues in Indonesia. A number of issues in contemporary Indonesia are introduced at this level and then subsequently taken up on an individual and more sophisticated way in later units (e.g. media is introduced here but taken up as an individual focus in ATS3117; politics is introduced here but political culture becomes a focus in ATS3115).
Upon successful completion of the unit students will be able to:
- extract and utilize basic information from an Indonesia media sources related to current issues in Indonesia or related to Indonesia's relationship with other nations;
- identify common journalistic expressions and vocabulary related to reporting in Indonesia;
- inquire and report on Indonesian opinions related to current and emerging issues;
- summarise and discuss aspects of Indonesian syntax and vocabulary formation in Indonesian;
- translate key information as summaries from Indonesian media reports.
Within semester assessment: 50% + Exam: 50%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
ATS1112 or VCE Indonesian or placement test or unit coordinator's permission.