6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
The unit has a compulsory ensemble componentensemble component (http://artsonline.monash.edu.au/music/category/performance-studies/student-ensembles/). Some ensembles are subject to audition. Normally, auditions take place in Week 1 of the semester. Please see the unit guide for further information.
The unit draws together students from various levels of musical experience at pre-tertiary level and consolidates fundamental skills in music ensemble performance. The unit comprises:
- ensemble rehearsals in a chosen/approved music ensemble;
- performance of select repertoire. The development of skills prepares students for the next unit in the sequence, ATS1348 Music ensemble 2.
Upon completion of this unit, students are able to:
- Demonstrate a competent level of ensemble musicianship.
- Demonstrate control of the elements of ensemble performance (for example, accuracy, articulation and phrasing, tone quality, dynamics, expression, and so forth).
- Perform select repertoire in a public setting.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information