6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Associate Professor Kenji Fujimura (Classical)
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
- The unit has a compulsory ensemble componentensemble component (http://artsonline.monash.edu.au/music/category/performance-studies/student-ensembles/). Some ensembles are subject to audition. Normally, auditions take place in Week 1 of the semester. Please see the unit guide for further information.
- Students who fail this unit will need permission from the unit coordinator in order to repeat the unit.
The unit draws together students from various levels of musical experience at pre-tertiary level and consolidates fundamental skills in music performance. Students develop instrumental/vocal technical and performance skills that prepare them for the repertoire-based focus of the next unit in the sequence, ATS1045 Performance 2.
Upon completion of the unit, students are able to:
- Demonstrate fundamental conventions of instrumental/vocal technique;
- Demonstrate fundamental control of rhythm, articulation, timbre and intonation (if applicable) through the performance of appropriate technical work;
- Demonstrate knowledge of relevant repertoire through the preparation of technical work, etudes and instrumental/vocal literature appropriate to this foundational level of tertiary performance;
- Demonstrate musicianship through the fundamental understanding of phrasing, dynamic control and general expression.
Within semester assessment: 40%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
This unit is only available to students enrolled in a Bachelor of Music single or double degree - Music performance or Ethnomusicology and musicology specialisations.