12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
In this unit, students to develop an independent research project related to communication and media studies. The topic is chosen by the student and developed with the advice and support of a supervisor. The project is written up in a minor dissertation, allowing the student to demonstrate advanced skills in research, writing and project management.
On successful completion of the unit, students will be able to demonstrate:
- Increased knowledge, skills, and attributes necessary for independent research;
- An enhanced capacity to formulate and research communication issues;
- An enhanced capacity to analyse and evaluate arguments, and to understand critical approaches to the planning, writing and editing of a research topic;
- A capacity to design, manage, and carry out a research project.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 288 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information