6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
The objective of this unit is two-fold. First, the unit provides students with a broad introduction to accounting information systems and the role technology plays in accounting. The focus will be on an introduction to: enterprise systems; database management; documentation methods; internal controls; and the core business processes found in organisations. Second, the unit focuses on corporate modelling theory; models as decision support tools; types and uses of models; benefits and limitations of models; effective spreadsheet design; auditing spreadsheet models and development of various models using an industry standard spreadsheet.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- examine the role of accounting information systems in analysing and providing decision support to managers
- explain the design of accounting information systems and financial models
- develop financial models to assist in decision making
- apply critical thinking, problem solving and presentation skills to individual and / or group activities dealing with accounting information systems and demonstrate in an individual summative assessment task the acquisition of a comprehensive understanding of the topics covered by ACW2851.
Within semester assessment: 30% + Examination: 70%
Within semester assessment: 40% + Examination: 60%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
Students must have passed one of the following units: AFF1000, ACF1000, AFP1000, ACB1000, ACP1000, ACC1000, AFC1000, ACF1100, ACC1100, ACP1100, ACC1200, ACP1200, ACF1200, ACW1100, ACW1200, ACW1000 or AFW1000 before undertaking this unit.