This is a prestigious program in human, public health or biomedical science research for high achieving students who have completed relevant undergraduate medical studies. You will undertake research methodology training and carry out an independent research project on your selected topic, working closely with a supervisor who will provide you with individual guidance and academic counselling. The course offers a pathway to higher level research in medical science.
If you have successfully completed three or more years of the Monash Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery course (or equivalent) and achieved at least a credit average, you may interrupt your studies for a year to undertake this course and pursue research in an area of medical science of particular interest to you.
Medical students and medical graduates from other institutions may also be eligible to study the Bachelor of Medical Science (Honours).
Upon successful completion of this course it is expected that you will be able to:
- identify, retrieve, interpret and critically review the clinical and scientific literature in their field
- demonstrate advanced knowledge and technical skills in their chosen area of research
- develop, apply, integrate and generate clinical and/or scientific knowledge to analyse challenges and to develop effective solutions
- generate, organise, analyse and interpret clinical and/or scientific data using theoretical, experimental and computational approaches
- communicate ideas and results effectively to diverse audiences and in a variety of written and oral formats
- demonstrate the ability to work independently to undertake a scientific literature review and to prepare presentations
- demonstrate the ability to work collaboratively to design, develop, implement and analyse a research project
- exercise personal, professional, ethical and social responsibility as a global citizen.
This course consists of a combination of coursework and research. In the coursework component you will develop advanced research skills in your area of focus. In the research component you will plan and execute a research project under the individual guidance of an academic supervisor.
This course comprises 48 points including research (36 points) and coursework (12 points).
- MED4301 Medical science honours research skills (12 points)
- MED4302 Medical science honours research project (36 points)
Satisfactory completion of this course may provide credit toward a Monash master's by coursework degree and will provide the preparation necessary to undertake a master's by research degree or a doctoral (PhD) degree.