This specialisation will prepare you to teach children and adolescents five to 18 years of age in primary and secondary schools from Foundation to Year 12. At the primary level, you will develop an understanding of how primary school aged children learn and how they can be effectively and creatively taught across all primary curriculum areas. In doing so, you will develop your personal knowledge of the curriculum areas you will teach, such as English and literacies, mathematics, arts education, humanities and social education, science, health and physical education, and studies of the environment and sustainability. At the secondary level your unit choices within your discipline studies sequence will determine which area you become a specialist teacher in. You will focus on adolescent learning and the nature of secondary education including areas such as classroom teaching and practice in schools, curriculum planning, implementation and evaluation, education and its relationship to society.
This area of study entry applies to students commencing this course in 2017 and should be read in conjunction with the relevant course entry in the Handbook.
Any units listed for this area of study relate only to the 'Requirements' outlined in the component of any bachelors double degrees.
Unit codes that are not linked to their entry in the Handbook are not available for study in the current year.
Units are 6 credit points unless otherwise stated.
Part A. Education studies (48 points)
- EDF1303 Understanding learning and learners
- EDF1304 Understanding teaching for learning
- EDF2210 Fostering positive child and adolescent behaviour and development
- EDF2031 Indigenous perspectives on teaching and learning
- EDF2211 Classroom practice
- EDF3210 Education policy and practice
- EDF3211 Inclusive education: Teaching diverse learners
- EDF3218 Curriculum, assessment and evaluation
Part B. Curriculum studies (78 points)
- EDF1205 English education 1
- EDF1206 Mathematics education 1
- EDF2214 Science education
- EDF2215 Mathematics education 2
- EDF3217 Digital technologies: Teaching, learning and the curriculum
- EDF3219 English education 2
- EDF4251 Creative arts education
- EDF4252 Integrated approaches to science learning and teaching
- EDF4253 Humanities and social sciences in the primary and secondary years
- EDF4254 Developing literacy and numeracy across the curriculum
- EDF4268 Health and physical education
- Method unit 1A*
- Method unit 1B*
* Corresponding to the discipline study 1 taken in Part C below. Refer to the secondary specialist/discipline areassecondary specialist/discipline areas (http://www.monash.edu/education/current-students/courses/units/secondary-specialisms), prerequisites and units.
Part C. Discipline studies (60 points)
Refer to the faculty's discipline studiesdiscipline studies (http://www.monash.edu/education/current-students/courses/units/secondary-specialisms) list.
Discipline study 1:
- chosen from the discipline studies listdiscipline studies list (http://www.monash.edu/education/current-students/courses/units/secondary-specialisms), which comprises either six units in the same area with at least 12 points at each of levels 2 and 3 or four units in one area with at least 12 points at level 2 plus two units in a related area
Discipline study 2:
- a four-unit* discipline study chosen from the discipline studies listdiscipline studies list (http://www.monash.edu/education/current-students/courses/units/secondary-specialisms)
* Students who have entered the course via the Diploma of Higher Education complete only two units in the second discipline area.
Part D. Professional studies (18 points)
Students complete 85 days of supervised professional experience in primary and secondary schools.
- EDF1101 Fieldwork experience 1A (0 points)
- EDF1102 Fieldwork experience 1B (0 points)
- EDF2101 Professional experience 2A (0 points)
- EDF2102 Professional experience 2B (0 points)
- EDF3101 Professional experience 3A (0 points)
- EDF3102 Professional experience 3B (0 points)
- EDF4041 Professional experience 4A (0 points)
- EDF4042 Professional experience 4B (0 points)
- EDF4006 Transition and professional engagement
- EDF4100 Researching teaching and learning
- EDF4101 Research project in education
85 days of professional experienceprofessional experience (http://monash.edu/education/current-students/professional-experience/placements/) completed in primary and secondary schools and 30 to 40 hours of fieldwork.
This specialisation is accredited by professional bodies. Refer to Professional recognitionProfessional recognition (http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/2017handbooks/undergrad/edu-04.html) for information.
Related areas of study
Successful completion of this undergraduate specialisation can be counted towards meeting the requirements for the following single degree:
- D3001 Bachelor of Education (Honours)
Students in other single bachelor's degrees or Bachelor or Education (Honours) double degrees are not eligible to complete this specialisation.