The interdisciplinary minor in African studies complements other areas of study within the Bachelor of Social Science. It aims to enhance your knowledge and understanding of the African continent in areas such as literature, culture, geography and politics.
African studies is offered in the Bachelor of Social Science at Monash South Africa as a minor.
Minor requirements (24 points)
No more than 12 points at level 1 may be credited towards the minor.
- One level 1 gateway unit (6 points):
- AZA1294 Reading Africa: An introduction
- Three units (18 points) chosen from:
- AZA2549 Poverty and power: The uneven world
- AZA2627 Global and local cultures: Creating and consuming
- AZA3417 Africa and its others
- AZA3643 Africa in the modern world
Successful completion of the minor can be counted towards meeting the requirements for the following single degree:
- 4086 Bachelor of Social Science
Students in other single bachelor's degrees may be eligible to complete the minor by using 24 or 48 points of their free electives.