6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Refer to the specific
census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
As for ATS2451.
On successful completion of this unit students will have:
- understanding of the policy approach to communications and culture;
- ability to identify the key rhetorics informing media regulation and the ways in which they function within and through particular policy;
- knowledge of the historical development of the general communications sector;
- understanding of the significance of globalisation, convergence and deregulation as challenges facing cultural and communications policy;
- developed understanding of the historical rise of the nation-state and of the implications of that history for the development of communications policy;
- a strong grasp of the complex inter-relationship of communications industries with political, economic, technical, cultural and social forces at national, regional and international levels;
- ability to conduct independent research.
Written work: 100%
2 hours (1 x 1 hour lecture and 1 x 1 hour tutorial) per week
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
ATS1277 and ATS1278, or equivalent
ATS2451, COM2413, COM3413, GSC3413