TRN4050 - Translation 2: Language for special purposes
12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate Faculty of Arts
Leader(s): Dr Leah Gerber
Clayton Second semester 2009 (Day)
This subject follows on from TRN4040 Translation 1: Discourse Analysis. It addresses the more specific translation issue of field: the use of language in various professional and social settings. Such uses will be addressed, firstly, through theoretical discussion in relation to context and cognitive environment, followed by the practical translation of authentic texts, which illustrate the issues involved.
- translate a variety of linguistic registers, informed by theoretical insight
- develop specialized competence in one or more areas of professional discourse
- develop a glossary by which they can expand and store their knowledge of specialised terms and how they might be used
- identify and discuss theoretical and methodological issues related to the translation of different professional discourses
- utilise problem-solving strategies for specialist discourses
- use a variety of specialised dictionaries, glossaries, and web-based translation aids.
Written work: 50%
1 Test: 20%
1 Exam: 30%
One two-hour seminar per week and the equivalent of two hours interactive Web-based work