PSY3062 - Research methods and theory
6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
Leader(s): Associate Professor Nikki Rickard
Caulfield Second semester 2009 (Off-campus)
Caulfield Second semester 2009 (Evening)
Clayton Second semester 2009 (Day)
Gippsland Second semester 2009 (Day)
Sunway Second semester 2009 (Day)
Singapore Second semester 2009 (Off-campus)
Peninsula Second semester 2009 (Flexible)
South Africa Second semester 2009 (Day)
In this unit, students will continue their training in research via 3 components. First, this unit will address issues of broad conceptual interest that are important to the development of critical and reflective views of psychology. Second, research design and analysis topics presented in first and second year will be explored at a more advanced level. The major focus of this component will be analysis of variance and multiple regression. Finally, students will continue their training in research design and analysis by undertaking a group-based research project under the supervision of a member of staff.
On completion of this unit students will have:
- extended their understanding of the role of conceptual and theoretical investigation in the creation and evaluation of psychological research;
- developed a greater appreciation of the impact of cultural and personal values on the development of psychological theories;
- acquired the ability to examine and reflect upon sources of diversity in contemporary psychological knowledge;
- extend their understanding of how to perform and interpret analysis of variance and multiple regression, and the conditions under which these statistical analyses are used;
- attained knowledge of the research process from the original idea to hypothesis testing, data collection and analysis/interpretation; and
- acquired in-depth knowledge on a specific research area of psychology.
Research project report (Progress report 15%, final report 35%)
Research Design and Analysis Exam 35%
Research Design and Analysis assignment 15%
Hurdle requirement: 75% lab attendance
Research Project: 1 x 2 hour laboratory per week, Research Design and Analysis: 1 x 1 hour lecture every week plus 1 x 1 hour tutorial every week.
Off-campus attendance requirements
Compulsory attendance at weekend schools is required for all off-campus students.